Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ramblings and Sweat

Here is what goes on inside my head:

"Get it together man, you need to update your blog, everyone is probably so annoyed by you. I know I need to update but I can't get the time to finish up some fact checks and write everything out and I want my posts to be meaningful and helpful and not just a post for the sake of posting. You are insane, you know how much you love reading other people blogs even if they aren't saying anything particularly meaningful. But I am so ashamed of my candy eating instances from last week and my lack of exercise, I am not being a good role model or practicing what I preach lately. You ate some Skittles on a few days when you were on your period, move on, THAT is practicing what you preach-you ate some candy last week and felt gross everytime and re-learned a lesson about how crack-like and addictive nasty sugar is. I guess so, but what's more furstrating is that I have some posts in my head but can't flesh them out because I don't make time/am lazy/am putting a lot of presure on myself. Just write something, that's what this place is for."

See, it's LOUD in there folks......and although I seemingly disappear I think about this blog everyday.

So, I have not been a good exerciser. I have been monitoring my weight for the past two months, and I am definitely holding steady (hooray for sure) but it's time to build up steam again and move forward.  I still have work to do (remember I am an actor and am trying to pick up the pace and book some more on-camera gigs), so I need to get on the work out horse again.

Enter Groupon. Sometimes I am weary of Groupon because I think it will make me buy things I wouldn't have bought anyway, but occasionally such a great deal comes along that I can't pass it up. Earlier this week Groupon featured a nearby Bikram Yoga Studio's package of 20 classes for $40. If you know the Bikram world, many places offer deals to people coming to their studio for the first time-usually something like $30 for 30 consecutive days or $20 for a week. This offer is good for three months beginning on the day of your first class. $2/class for three months, this is as good as it gets (because it's tough and making it six times a month is pretty darn good...so I bought it. I had been looking for a good deal on a traditional yoga class with no luck (yoga classes ain't cheap if they aren't part of a gym membership-which I don't have-I never joined the gym in my office building-too pricey) and this deal came at the right time.

If you don't know about Bikram Yoga, you may hear people reference it as "hot yoga." The room is heated to about 104 degrees to help you do the postures (aka make your muscles warm and happy) and it feels amazing!

From the Bikram Website:

Bikram Yoga is the 26 postures Sequence selected and developed by Bikram Choudhury from Hatha Yoga.
It has been proved and experienced by millions that these 26 postures systematically work every part of the body, to give all the internal organs, all the veins, all the ligaments, and all the muscles everything they need to maintain optimum health and maximum function. Each component takes care of something different in the body, and yet they all work together synergistically, contributing to the success of every other one, and extending its benefits.


My history with Bikram:
A few years ago I got very into the Bikram. You get so strong and lean and sweat out all kinds of gross impurities (cause man oh man do you sweat! It's so awesome!). As I mentioned though, it is expensive!!!! After getting the first-timer deal at a studio, it can cost you $120 or more per month for an unlimited pass, which I've done some, but I'm protective of my monies and that's a big expense-even if it's awesome. My biggest issue though is that 2.5 years ago I had a heat stroke (NOT from doing Bikram). Since then heat and I are not as great of friends. I tried going back once a new place, but unlike other places I'd practiced, the teacher was more harsh and into embarrassing those of us not doing as well. Thus, I have been on hiatus, but secretly longing to try again (at a new place sans jerk face teacher) since it can be so great. I feel like I am stronger and MUCH healthier now and would like to give it a go again in my new body. So, I want to give myself some prep days of super hydration and stretching and I will start up again. Hopefully it will be just the kick in arse I need to jump start my fitness journey again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous - what an amazing Bikram deal! And good for you for taking control and trying again. You can teach your body to deal with heat in a healthy way :) Just make sure you're accounting for all that heat, sweat and calorie burn by eating enough protein and getting enough water - you'll need a lot of energy to face that heat with strength and confidence. But I know you can do it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hot hell of Bikram--I am jealous of your deal--what a steal! And I'm apparently a poet.

    I love all things Groupon or Living Social and that you can buy multiples on most of them--score!!

    ReplyDelete