Saturday, July 24, 2010

My Green Dinner (Literally)

Last night I used The Post Punk Kitchen's Potato Kale Enchilda recipe as a guide and made some pretty darn scrumptous Zucchini and Spinach Enchiladas. As much as I want to boast about being free and no longer a slave to fearing carbs, a potato stuffed enchildada made me nervous. So, I used a pound of zucchini instead of potatoes and spinach instead of kale (because the grocery store I stopped at was out). If you try it, I suggest using less salt than recommended. I have loads of leftovers too which is nice.

Tonight I put my plethora of fresh garden herbs to good use and tried PPK's Basil Mint Pesto. Not too shabby folks. It was a nice change from standard pesto. The mint compliments the basil in a nice way and the lemon juice adds a nice kick. I chose not to add nutritional yeast flakes because I am weary of adding extra yeast to my body these days. (I'll elaborate in another post some time.) It turned out nicely. If you try it, add a bit more garlic than recommended. My pesto needed a place to go, so I decided to try Ancient Harvest Quinoa Elbows. I sauteed a little bit of red onion and a little leftover zucchini and mixed it into the pesto pasta. Delightful.

I had some asparagus that needed to be used, so I tossed it in olive oil and sea salt and roasted it up.

I wanted a nice cool salad as well, so I used one of the three GIANT cucumbers I scored for $1 at the grocery store, and chopped it up with some tomatoes, red onion, lime juice, salt, and cilantro.

I present: My Green Dinner:

Delicious and refreshing!

2 comments:

  1. Loving the green meal, the pesto looks yummy.

    I may have to try those enchiladas. I would have never thought to add potatoes to that dish but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds and looks delish, and so filling! I looooove it :)

    ReplyDelete