Saturday, June 25, 2011

Lemonade

Last Saturday I had a co-ed wedding shower to attend downtown (three cheers for the trending  co-ed baby and wedding showers-so much more fun!) so I used my summer hours afternoon off on Friday to clean and take the dog child to the groomers and booked a Zumba class for Saturday morning. The trains run slower in Chicago on weekends and even though I left enough time, my train was running late AND there was some kind of issue and we stopped on the tracks for a few minutes. I seriously missed making class by about 10 minutes. I was so ticked! I knew I needed to get in some exercise, so I opted to walk home to meet Mr. BB30 and drive back downtown with him. I turned on my Eminem inspired Pandora station to help me keep up the pace and I power walked (big tote bag and all) the seven miles or so home. It was a good test for me, because I don't handle last minute changes of plan well. I like plans. They make me feel in control and happy. Alas, instead of seething about the incompetent transit or being over dramatic and contemplating why the world wanted to keep me from exercising and make me remain jiggly for life, I rallied and came up with a solution that would get my body in motion and moved on. Ah personal growth. Gold star for me! Turnin' lemons into lemonade!

Inspired by SimplyShaka's recent post on stuffing spaghetti into a portabello cap, and in celebration of Mr. BB30 being free on a Friday night, we made stuffed mushrooms! We made our plans separately, but ended up both choosing to do one Italian version (my included homemade marinara sauce, onions, squash, whole wheat shells) and one Mexican version (mine included black beans, tofu, taco seasoning, purple onions and a sprinkle of Daiya cheese).

Unfortunately, due to his crazy schedule, my love fell asleep before 9:30pm and I stayed up watching Letters to Juliet (don't judge me!)

The produce store did not disappointed. I got six giant zucchinis for $1.49 and a big bag of perfect, adorable, colorful bell peppers for $1.98!!!!!!! I knew what had to be done: LUNCH SOUP

BB30's Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
1 large red bell pepper (sliced)
12 mini bell peppers (mix of red, orange and yellow) (sliced)
1 medium onion (vadalia)
8 cloves of garlic (whole)
2 cups of veggie broth
1 large can of diced tomatoes
Two cups of water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions
Preheat oven to 425
Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
Placed sliced peppers, onions and whole garlic cloves in the pan.
Drizzle olive oil over veggies and give them a stir to coat
Place pan in broiler for 20 minutes (you may want to peak in after 10 minutes and give the veggies a stir and/or give them a spritz of olive oil.)
Bring two cups of veggie broth and two cups of water to a boil.
Add diced tomatoes (with juice)
Add roasted veggies

Simmer together for a while to let the flavors marry
Use a food processor or your trusty immersion blender to puree.
Serve as is as a starter or with a sandwich or salad.

OR (how I am enjoying it this week for lunches):
In each bowl place a handful of spinach and ¼ c cooked brown rice.
Pour hot soup over the spinach and rice and let the heat do it’s magic.
Stir.
Dine.
Don't tell Anne Burrell that I didn't wipe my bowl clean for proper presentation!
So smooth and roasty and delicious!

The canned tomatoes I had on hand had green chiles in them so it made it spicy. I added two tbsp of plain soy yogurt to the pot to cool it down. My garden will be in full swing by the next time I make this soup so I can use fresh basil and oregano to make this Italian. I also think if left a bit chunky and chilled, this would make a delicious gazpacho-ish dish.

My workouts this week included:
Monday: Tabata Boxing
Tuesday: Strength Boxing followed by Zumba (whew)
Wednesday: TurboKick
Thursday: Off-I attended a benefit for the show my husband wrote and will star in, then went to an audition
Friday: Off-Ran a ton of errands and de-stressed-it's been a crazy week.
Saturday: Today before obligations and working on tomorrow's Pride Parade Mr. BB30 and I will, gulp, run.

Now to wake up that sleeping husband!

1 comment:

  1. I love the co-ed baby shower and wedding shower trend as all. Even more if they have wine! And I love your Mexican take on the mushrooms. Everything is better Mexican style.

    So I have to ask-how was letters to Juliet?

    ReplyDelete