Wednesday, February 2, 2011

On Muffin Tops

I have a muffin top. Monday my jeans were snug. I truly thought I was doing well and this has thrown me for a loop. Haven't I risen above all of this unhealthy fretting over myself? Wasn't I just thinking how well I was doing despite holidays and lack of time to exercise in January? Wasn't I just thinking my shoulders looked awesome in the mirror? Didn't I just rededicate myself to fitness last week?

I know how to jump start my body again. I know it will only take a week or so of extra care to deflate and not feel out of control (because really I think I may have just been on a sodium binge.) I guess this just goes to show how easily we can slip back into old ways of thinking. Seriously, I was on the verge of mental breakdown Monday morning over feeling bloated (thank goodness for meditation and breathing). I feel like it's important to be real and not sugar coat my ongoing journey with a healthy body and healthy self view. Monday I felt sad, mad, frustrated, stuck, and scared.

I know what bad habits led me here. They include but are not limited to: Harmless handfuls of afternoon candies (there is soooo much candy for the taking in my office), extra glasses of wine I needed because my day was tough, a few chips at night, too many diet sodas because I needed caffeine to survive my tough day. All of these have contributed to my muffin top and I was an active participant the whole time. I have to take responsibility for that. I also know that some of my angst is residual frustration over the fact that Friday I received a last minute call for a print ad and odds were really strong that I would book it or at least be called back. I've heard nothing. Ouch.

I took the bull by the horns and avoided small cheats and drank lots of water. I did an online reservation for Zumba at the fitness center where I will be exercising for the next two months courtesy of Groupon. Dancing always makes me feel happy and I had been so excited to try Zumba. I was put on a wait list. Boo!! On that no-good-very-bad-day I felt extra disappointment that I might not get to go. However, I knew I couldn't use it as an excuse not to exercise when there were other classes I could take. Luckily I got  into the Zumba class with no problem. It lived up to my expectations. It was such a blast. I got my dance on and my cardio on and had a ball doing it!!! It made me so happy! I can't wait to go back. We had ourselves a full fledged blizzard in Chicago last night so I couldn't go Tuesday or today. Frown! There isn't a Zumba class on Thursday nights, but I will pick something else to go to after work tomorrow (just not PiYo!). I am committed!

So, the past three days I have been more conscious of little nibbles and such and I already feel a difference. Extra bites are really one of my biggest downfalls and I just have to pay attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment