Thursday, April 7, 2011

Nubbins

Happy April. I can't believe it. Time flies.

My birthday is one month from last Sunday.

The weekend brought on some harsh realizations and tough stuff. All three of my very promising auditions fell through. With having inside connections for two of them and the other just feeling outstanding, I am shocked. I got a very nice personal email from one of the places (personal emails are rare-they typically form "thanksbut no thanks" emails). There are so many factors that weigh in on casting decisions from height to age to union vs. non union. I always thought I would outlast everyone and finally make it, but my stamina is starting to truly waver for the first time. One day at a time, one step at a time.

Thank God for my fitness classes. Friday's Kwando Kickboxing class was my sweatiest most intense yet. I pounded out my frustrations and air-punched several nameless people in the face. I was spent. I looked like I had been in a Bikram class. Monday I tried Tabata Boxing which is a similar Taebo-style class, but the moves are done in fast repetitive circuits (tabatas). Round house kicks are my favorite. I just really enjoy kicking, and bonus, it's great for saddle bags! I love air-round house kicking wrong-doers in their bellies. I'm such a lady. This is how you do one:
Tuesday night I went to a new class, Barre Burn. This was ballerina/bar, pilates/yoga mix of a class all about toning up. There were many planks in the beginning with really irritate my crazy arm injuries.I know I just need to get my behind back to accupuncture. It's a phone call and a nice walk away, I don't know why I am procrastinating. I know it would help calm my racing mind and all of my anxiety as well.

Wednesday was my day off of exercise, but I still really wanted to move. So, I took a nice mile long walk to one of my favorite thrift stores to look around and get some inspiration. Do you all read New Dress A Day? Marissa is brilliant and inspires me to bust out the sewing machine I got for Christmas but haven't devoted a weekend to playing with. Two miles total. The walk felt good. Dare I say my body craves movement now?

Oh hey, let's make soup!

Like I mentioned last week I've come upon several sales on fresh brocoli lately. There was so much leftover stalk-age (or nubbins) that I decided I would start making soup from it. I've done this a couple of times. I call it Nubbin Soup.
I chop up the nubbins (approx 2 cups) and steamed them until they were soft.
Then I added one cup of florets to my second steamer tower and steamed everything for seven more minutes.
I cooked up one cup of chopped onions and six grated cloves of garlic with just a kiss of olive oil.

Then I let everyone get friendly in the pot for five minutes.
Then I added in four cups of vegetable broth, one additional cup of water and blended away with my trusty Cuisinart immersion blender. Her name is "Cusi Jefferson". Move it on up, girl!
I like to swirl in some shredded Daiya Cheese in my bowl before eating it and/or add in some cooked brown rice. Either way it's mega comforting and DELISH!

Go forth and get yo' Nubbin on!
What "use it all up" creations have you made lately?

2 comments:

  1. so sorry about the auditions! i'm sure something will come along. you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your auditions, hopefully you have more lined up?

    I desperately need an immersion blender. I haven't done a throw in everything creation lately but I am diggin your idea.

    ReplyDelete