Sunday, December 12, 2010

Baking

I am not a baker. Too many rules. If you don't follow instructions exactly you get a lopsided mess. Nevertheless, last week I happily baked.

Dec 6th 2007 is one of my least favorite days ever. My handsome Gramps left us too soon that day, and I don't like it one bit. Every Christmas my mom would make Gramps a pound cake, so I associate them with him. In 08 and 09 we drank a cup of coffee in Gramps' honor from his Fire King Anchor Hocking mugs. This year I wanted to add pound cake to the tradition. To the net! I found a simple vegan pound cake recipe on ehow.com:

Simple Ingredients:
2 c cake flour
3/4 c maple syrup
1 tsp salt
1 package (16oz) soft tofu
1 tbsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees if you are using a metal pan, or 325 degrees if you are using a glass pan.
2. Lightly grease a cake or loaf pan.
3. Mix together two cups of cake flour, one tablespoon of baking powder and one teaspoon of salt, and set aside.
4. Blend together 3/4 cup maple syrup, 16 ounces of soft tofu (about two cups) and one teaspoon each of vanilla extract and almond extract, using an electric blender.
5. Stir the flour mixture into the tofu mixture by hand until well blended. Add any additional flavoring, fruit or citrus zest, if desired.
6. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
7. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. When done, the cake will be golden brown and springy to the touch.

Not too shabby folks. It sort of tasted like the cake version of a sugar cookie. I would definitely make it again and perhaps ice it. I love that you can change up extracts and add different zest to change up the flavor! It comes out perfectly moist too! No oil. No butter. Huzzah! Mr. BB30 and I ate some for breakfast with a special mug of coffee.

Here's to you Gramps!

1 comment: