Monday, October 19, 2009

Tastes of Fall

Saturday after rehearsal I had myself a solo soup date and made a few pots of various deliciousness to freeze in individual containers for healthy low cal lunches (Tip Alert). One concoction stood out from the rest and I knew I had to share. For the mere cost of 29 cents a pound I had purchased a little butternut squash at my favorite produce store. The result: Divinity.

Please make yourself a big ol’ bowl of this nutrient rich, pallet pleasing delight:

BB30's Simple and Slammin' Butternut Squash Soup

You’ll need:
1 small butternut squash
½ a medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
2-3 cups of vegetable broth
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray, Soy Butter, or the like
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

Cut the Butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds and membranes with a spoon.

Place the squash face down in ½ an inch of water and microwave for 10 minutes. When it’s done you should be able to easily scoop out the cooked squash.

Sautee the onion and garlic in a non-stick skillet with some butter spray (let the onion work a few a minutes before adding the garlic-burned garlic is just plain narsty.)

Add in the cooked squash and a hearty sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg (ginger is also good if you have it).

Add in the veggie broth. (Always good to start with just a cup and work your way up depending on the consistency you prefer.)

Give it a quick stir to combine.

Take out your trusty immersion blender and blend away until it’s creamy. (If you don’t have an immersion blender-1) WHY? THEY'RE AWESOME! 2) You could put it in a food processor or even a blender.)

FEAST.

Mind you this doesn’t make a ton since I used a small squash, but it’s easily adjusted with the size of you gourd.



Reasons why you should eat this:
1) It tastes like autumn and will fill your soul!
2) It is ridiculously easy to make.
3) It is ridiculously yummy to eat.
4) It is low in calories.
4) Butternut Squash is oh-so-good for us.

Why Butternut Squash is oh-so-good for us:
According to wholeliving.com, butternut squash is full of antioxidents and fiber, rich in betacaratine and vitamin C, and it contains other nutrients that promote heart and bone health, and ward off arthritis and asthma. I'll have a bowl of that please! You'll also be eating with the season which I am told is a wonderful way to make sure your body gets what it needs.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I am on it like brown on rice. See how I substituted a healthy choice for my simile there? Yeaaaaah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use chicken stock and 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in mine. It freezes really well too.

    ReplyDelete