Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Twas the Night Before Christmas...

...and of course I made soup.

On Christmas Eve we headed north to spend the holiday with Mr. BB30's family. I wanted to bring a dish that I could share as well as ensure that I that I had something vegan friendly and filling to eat.

I had recently created a pear/turnip/parsnip puree that turned out well and went to a cooking party for my day job where my task was to make an apple/parsnip/leek soup, so I married the two ideas and the results were savory, sweet, and oh-so-merry!

Savory Pear Soup
Ingredients:
2 Large parsnips, peeled and chopped (or several small skinny ones like I had)
2 Bosc Pears, peeled and chopped
2 (cleaned) Leeks, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1c Applesauce
1c Veggie Broth
Green Onion (for Garnish)

Directions:
  • Sauté your veggies in a little olive oil until very tender, adding salt and pepper to taste
  • Add veggie broth and apple sauce (add in a little water if it seems dry)
  • Turn to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes
  • Cheat on your immersion blender and go for the food processor-you want this bad boy super silky!
  • Blend the soup in batches until it is smooth, adding water or plain almond milk as needed for your desired consistency.
  • Finely chop some green onion (or chives) with your kitchen scissors for garnish.
  • Drink in the sweet/savory goodness!
Here is a blurry camera phone pic that does it no justice.
This soup was a hit. I was so happy to be able to share a vegan friendly dish that pleased all palettes and warmed everyone up as they waited for Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment