On Christmas Eve we headed north to spend the holiday with Mr. BB30's family. I wanted to bring a dish that I could share as well as ensure that I that I had something vegan friendly and filling to eat.
I had recently created a pear/turnip/parsnip puree that turned out well and went to a cooking party for my day job where my task was to make an apple/parsnip/leek soup, so I married the two ideas and the results were savory, sweet, and oh-so-merry!
Savory Pear Soup
2 Large parsnips, peeled and chopped (or several small skinny ones like I had)
2 Bosc Pears, peeled and chopped
2 (cleaned) Leeks, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1c Veggie Broth
Green Onion (for Garnish)
- Sauté your veggies in a little olive oil until very tender, adding salt and pepper to taste
- Add veggie broth and apple sauce (add in a little water if it seems dry)
- Turn to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes
- Cheat on your immersion blender and go for the food processor-you want this bad boy super silky!
- Blend the soup in batches until it is smooth, adding water or plain almond milk as needed for your desired consistency.
- Finely chop some green onion (or chives) with your kitchen scissors for garnish.
- Drink in the sweet/savory goodness!